ss_blog_claim=7df8ca2b66fc0f273f487d2e1216e006

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Thursday Thirteen #5- Link Love- Favorite Websites!!

So, I'm doing Thirteen Favorite Websites today. I'm not counting blogs in this, because there are sooo many great blogs out there that I love, my whole list would be consumed with them! So if you don't see your bloggy self on there, please don't feel shunned. And, without further adieu... Some of my faves :D



(1) I just found this website a couple of months ago and I LOVE it! The basic idea is this: it's a (free!) interactive wish list. You download a little button to put on your bookmarks toolbar at the top of your browser, and then whenever you come across ANYTHING on the web you want (whether it be from an etsy store, ebay, a retailer's website, etc.) you click on that button. The next thing that happens?? It's SOO nifty!

Above your window, a box will pop open with a photo of the item and most of its information, including the price and name, filled out. You can tag the item to put it in a category (i.e., clothes, art stuff, etc.) and add any notes about sizes or whatever in the comment box. You can keep as many lists as you want, and make them public, private, etc... For instance, I have one wish list for things I want, and one wish list for things my daughter wants and/or needs. My Mom is building a private list (which only she can see) for things she wants to buy for other people. I am SOOO trying to get everyone in my family to sign up and fill this out! It's great because you know EXACTLY what the person wants, and they never know you looked or what you're buying them. You can send your URL to whoever you want, and there is also an invite tool. If you want to check out MY list for an example, go ahead and click :D



(2) Of course, as always, a tried and true favorite of mine :) I find all things yummy on this website and could spend way too much time browsing (and drooling.) You can keep a recipe box on there of your favorites and also submit your own recipes.



(3) For games... I use I have since I was 16, and they are still the best.



(4) Of course, if you're a gambler, you can use This is how it works: you watch an ad, and they start you off with 1 penny. You bet that penny against someone else with a penny, watch another (short) ad, and play a game against them- whoever wins gets both cents. The other person starts over, and the winner moves on to bet their 2 cents... etc... etc... There's potential to win a LOT if you are lucky (and smart), but there are only three games. I haven't been on in a while because I was up to a few dollars and blew it all down to like 16 cents. Made me mad. But it's still a cool idea, and you COULD become a millionaire from it. If you want an invite (I think they're still invite-only right now), comment me with your email and I will send ya one! :D



(5) Another good foodie website- especially for slow cooker recipesI don't know why they have it listed under southern food, because it seems like there are dishes from all over. Yum, yum... and it makes dinner so much easier! Gotta <3 that Crockpot.




(6) is the BEST (hands-down) website for nutrition information, fitness tracking and food logs. It's free and it's how I managed to stay on track and lose the baby weight from the girl. I love this website, although I haven't used it as much lately as I should. I could go on and on about its benefits, but really, there's so much, you should just check it out! They have workouts, videos, articles, support groups, a food and fitness tracking system, and you can even keep track of and achieve your other goals through their system. There are some awesome people on there and they are so inspiring! This website is a GREAT motivation tool.



(7) For those of you, like me, who enjoy watching TV on the web (we lay in bed at night and watch it, because we don't have a TV in our room, just the computer), is a great place to find those shows you may not be able to on the network's website.
Sometimes, even if they DO have the show on the network's website, it's still better at Hulu because you can full screen it.



(8) If you can't find it there, it just might be on
So check them too. If you have no luck, it most likely isn't out there for streaming video. You'll just have to download (shhh... did I say that?!?!) ;)




(9)

I just love them. I like their website, too, and the fact that they usually hold the same sales online as in the stores (like that crazy jeans sale I somehow missed?!?! $12 per pair for adult jeans and $7 for kids. I shed a tear when I found out...) I do admit, I like going to the store better, because there's no shipping, and the clearance is way better. But, being as the closest one to me is about an hour away, I'll take the online shopping happily.




(10) is the best email. That's pretty much all there is to say about that. Once again, if you want an invite, give me a holler!




(11) online classifieds. I am always shocked when people tell me they haven't heard of Craigslist! It was so popular in NC when we lived there, we got almost everything in our house from there (we were very broke... lol) including our dishes, our couch, some blankets, our kitchen table (which we still use and got for $15!)... And, two weeks ago, I found a portable dishwasher for just $75! We also found both of our last two apartments on there, and they have a great job listing section as well as community listings for yard/ garage sales and events in your area. I have been keeping my eye out on there for an elliptical to get my butt in gear and do some cardio, since I know it's the best type of workout and I do... pretty much none of it.



(12) when you can't find things on the TV websites above, you can usually download them here, and they are much safer than using Napster, Limewire or another program like that. The trick with that is that you need to understand how torrents work (you can find an explanation there) and you need to have a torrent downloading program like uTorrent to download the files. Then you search on the net at different websites like The Pirate Bay for what you want. This is different than searching within the programs, like Napster, etc. Some other good websites to look for torrents are: Mininova, TorrentPortal, Isohunt, Torrentz, BitTorrent, and Demonoid. I'd say Demonoid is the best, but you need to be invited or sign up during open sign up, and they have strict requirements for seeding back to others.




(13) I <3 Disney, mostly due to the fact that my grandparents brought us up worshiping their movies, and for a time when I was about 6, I really thought it would be possible for me to grow up and be Ariel (yes, I know I don't have a fishy tail). I am constantly on their website planning fake vacations I can't yet afford, praying that somehow they will miraculously see me there and award me- their biggest fan- with free lovin' (i.e. vacation!) They have a fun new feature where you can actually interatively tour the parks. Sweeeeetttt. I can't wait to bring my little princess there! Hopefully next year.. or the year after... She may still be too young next year, but I am in total denial of this right now. If any of you have stories of bringing young children (mine would be 2 1/2 if we were to go next year), please share. I'm dying to know if she could enjoy it, or if it would be a total meltdown vacation.

There you have it... 13 of my best of the best. If you check any of them out, let me know what you think! :D

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, cool list! I will do one of those sometime! I need to try wishpot out for my christmas wishlist! Although, I did read that amazon now has a universal wishlist button, so you can add anything to your amazon list. My TT is up at: http://lifes-adventures.net

Cheers!
Noelle

Anonymous said...

Hi, allrecipes.com is definitely a great site, plus the gmail one is like my lifeline to everything!

After Hours said...

Oh you have some good ones on there. I have never heard of Hulu or tvshack so now I'm going to go investigate.

As for sitting your daughter on the potty...it takes a LOT of patience. If you spend one week just focusing on that and stick her on the potty every half hour, you'll be suprised by the end of the week she's peed in the potty. It helps to bring tons of books and read while she sits so she is distracted. Puzzles work too.
My daughter started at 18 months and is 20 months now. She typically has accidents after 6 pm because I get busy and lose track of time.

Good luck :)

stace41971 said...

Oh..what a great list!! There are a few sites I've not been to that I'll be checking out in the days to come :-) thanks for sharing! Great TT :-D

siteseer said...

Great list. I'll have to jot a few of those down for later reference.

Issa said...

Ohhh I so have to check out the TV ones. One of my faves is http://www.dailysudoku.com/sudoku/
because I love sudoku.

Thank you for your comment at my places today.It's funny, but the trolls never seem to be able to spell worth a darn.

Hey do you use Twitter?

Anonymous said...

I use 2,7,10 & 11 all the time.
Thanks for the tip on #8 !!

Anonymous said...

#12 looks interesting, except I have nothing to seed.

Jaden Paige said...

Thank you everyone for all your sweet comments!
Issa- I sort of use Twitter... I signed up, but had no friends to Tweet on there, so I started feeling like I was telling myself what I was doing, which seemed pointless. Lol. I'm putting the twitter thing back on this blog in hopes that maybe I'll be tweeted. Is that proper english? lol. Almost sounds dirty.

Fangirl- You're welcome! Hulu is our go-to, but in a pinch, TvShack sometimes has shows they don't :D

Jaden Paige said...

Scratch that... I just remembered why I didn't already have the Twitter thing on my page- I can't get the blasted thing to work!! Any suggestions?

Jennifer Chasse said...

Disney rules! I love craigslist. I found my last job on there. Pogo is the best.

Danica Favorite said...

Wow, I didn't know about some of these. I'll have to check them out.

Pennies In My Pocket said...

OK, I'm going to have a BLAST checking all these out...although a few of mine are faves...like craigslist and allrecipes! LOVE it! ;-)

~melody~

Tracey@Aloha Monkeys said...

What a great list! I'll have to check out the TV Shack. I used to go on pogo a lot, but found new addictions :)

I'm not in Hawaii yet. I'll be there next week Tuesday. Sunshine land, here I come. I was born and raised there, but living in WA state where we actually have winters has made me appreciate the warm weather even more.

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Great list - I love Pogo!

Thanks for visiting me.

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

I love All Recipes. My Cauliflower Casserole is on there.
Thanks for stopping by my BATW yesterday!

Keeper of the Skies Wife said...

oh and Old Navy, too!!!

ShannonW said...

I love pogo and I have been playing on it since it started.

Anonymous said...

What a great list. A few on there I will have to check out. The only thing missing is mine....
hee hee.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I've added you to my new blogger friends! Can't wait to read more of your posts.
MuchaCostaRica

Anonymous said...

Hey, so my blog has turned to invite only for a bit, so if you send me an email to nikki@lovingdanger.com
I'll add you to the invite list.

Lizzie said...

thanks, i found a few i hadn't been to before :)

Issa said...

Hey, I meant to ask you....can you sen me an email, so I have your email address? Then I can respond to your sweet comments without sharing with the world, in your comment section? My email is issascrazyworld at gmail dot com. :)

Post a Comment

Leave some love...

 
Creative Commons License
This work by Jaden Brulotte is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 United States License.